from Chris Hemendinger, senior software manager in SAS R&D and author of The SAS Dummy
Supported Versions and Combinations:
- You can use EG 4.1 with local SAS 9.2 (no metadata server). Everything local on your Windows machine; it should just work.
- You can have both EG 4.1 and EG 4.2 on your local machine, along with local SAS 9.2, and all should work together.
- You can have SAS 9.1.3 and SAS 9.2 on your local machine, but EG (either version) will use only the version of SAS that is registered for local use, which is usually the version that was installed last. You can run "sas /regserver" to register a particular version of SAS.
- You can have SAS 9.1.3 and SAS 9.2 side-by-side on a server machine with two metadata servers (one 9.1.3 and one 9.2) and object spawner instances, as long as you assign unique ports for the metadata server and workspace servers. So in this way, you could point EG 4.1 at the SAS 9.1.3 instance, and EG 4.2 at the SAS 9.2 instance. This approach might be helpful for transitioning.
Unsupported Versions and Combinations:
- You cannot use EG 4.1 with remote SAS 9.2, nor can you connect to a SAS 9.2 metadata server. The SAS 9.2 metadata server has a different API that EG 4.1 doesn’t speak.
- You cannot use EG 4.2 with SAS 9.1.3 at all: EG 4.2 relies on some new features within SAS 9.2 that aren’t compatible with SAS 9.1.3 (ODS Graphics and some new APIs).