[download id=”79″ format=”2″]
Garmin released version 4.4.4 of the BaseCamp software for Microsoft Windows on November 20, 2014, just one month after releasing version 4.4.2. Version 4.4.4 fixed thirteen issues from the previous version. BaseCamp is software to view and organize your maps, waypoints, routes, and tracks and send them to your Garmin device. It works very similar to MapSource. BaseCamp displays topographic map data in 2-D or 3-D on your computer screen, including elevation profiles. Then you can view and rotate the maps from any angle.
- Import and view maps in 2-D or 3-D, including TOPO and City Navigator® maps
- Create, edit and organize routes, waypoints and more on your computer
- View BirdsEye Satellite Imagery or BirdsEye Select raster maps, and transfer the data to your device (subscriptions required)
- Create and share Garmin Adventures
- Create and share geotagged photos
- View playback of routes, tracks and adventures
- Search for geocaches through integrated OpenCaching support
Changes made from version 4.4.2 to 4.4.4:
- Fixed several issues when using the Pan Tool and the <ALT> key to move route points
- Fixed autorouting issue where straight line segments were inserted after each waypoint
- Improved track to route behavior. Now supports preserving the shape of track sections that aren’t near a road
- Improved handling in situations where the computer is low on memory
- Changed displayed route times to take layovers into account
- Fixed issue with ‘higher education’ map symbols showing up as airports
- Fixed certain instances of route direction text where the text was ‘turn left/right’ instead of ‘bear left/right’
- Fixed issue when recalculating a route via the context menu in the data list
- Fixed various issues sending data to memory cards
- Changed to automatically unlock BirdsEye for a device when sending the BirdsEye to a card in that device
- Fixed various issues with Adventure search
- Fixed issue sending ADM files to cards for marine devices
- Added the command line option /Disable3D to disable the 3D view in BaseCamp. This was added to prevent startup issues with misbehaving graphics drivers.
- Windows Vista Service Pack 2 or later is required. Machines with earlier operating systems can use BaseCamp 4.2.5
- .NET framework 4.5 SP1 is required. A current version of .NET will be installed if needed
- Windows Media Player 11 or greater is required (a free download from Microsoft)
- 1 GB of system memory is required, 2 GB of system memory is recommended when using BirdsEye Imagery or Garmin Custom Maps.
- A video card that supports OpenGL version 1.3 or later is needed to enable the 3D view.
- If you experience problems when interacting with the map views, please make sure that you have installed current video card drivers
- BaseCamp will recognize all MapSource products except BlueChart
- BaseCamp does not work with serial GPS devices
The current Mac version of BaseCamp is 4.4.2, last updated on September 25, 2014. It can be downloaded at the Garmin web site.